September 01, 2015
Workshop: Architectural Prototyping with Rhino 5
David Tracy from the Rockwell Group will teach you how to leverage Rhino’s tools to unravel complex geometry and develop drawings for laser cutting & 3d printing.
In this Level 2 course, you will work from pre-built models of Renzo Piano’s Modern Wing at the Art Institute to explore how to develop drawings in order to fabricate prototypes of your designs.
Building off of David’s Schematic & Conceptual Design in Rhino 5 course, you will develop an understanding of tools and techniques for modeling complex geometries.
You’ll learn how to unravel these geometries so you can produce laser cut prototypes. Then you will explore techniques for developing 3d prints of your models via Shapeways.
Finally, you’ll gain an understanding of how to use RhinoCAM in order to develop 4-axis printed prototypes of your model.
Who: Our workshops are taught by practicing architects (not trainers) who are working at some of the world’s most highly respected firms like SOM & Gensler. You’ll learn from folks who use these tools on a daily basis, so you can learn the shortcuts to make beautiful work, faster.
When: Saturday, September 26th, 2015 -9-5pm
Where: The workshop can be attended In-Person in Downtown Chicago or online via GoToMeeting. Registrants for the online session will receive login details by 9/20/15.
In-Person Attendees: Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (adjacent to the Merchandise Mart) 350 W Mart Center Dr, Chicago, IL 60654 (312) 836-5000
Each workshop is worth 6 learning units.
You’ll need to bring your own laptop with the relevant software installed.
Lunch will be provided for in-person attendees.
You can download trial versions of software here:
- AutoCAD 2016: http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/free-trial
- Revit 2016: http://www.autodesk.com/products/revit-family/free-trial
- 3ds Max Design 2016: http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/free-trial
- SketchUp Pro 2015: http://www.sketchup.com/download
- Rhino 5: http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5/latest
- Grasshopper: http://www.rhino3d.com/download/grasshopper/1.0/wip?PageSpeed=noscript
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign): http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html
- Vray for Rhino: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vrayforrhino.html
- Vray for Sketchup: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray-sketchup
- Vray for 3ds Max Design: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray