May 02, 2016
AIA Convention: Art’s Principles
Hard-Learned Lessons That Built a World-Class Firm.
Join Black Spectacles founder, Marc Teer as he interviews architect and author M. Arthur Gensler at the 2016 AIA National Convention in Philadelphia.
Arthur Gensler, FAIA, RIBA, is founder of Gensler, a leading global design firm and recipient of AIA Firm of the Year (2000). When he started his company, he knew a lot about architecture but very little about running a business. In 2015, having grown his firm from two employees to 5,000, he wrote Art’s Principles to offer today’s entrepreneurs the business insights he wishes someone had given him when he was first starting out.
Marc Teer is the founder and CEO of Black Spectacles, and former Assistant Adjunct Professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology. Before starting his own company, Marc was an award-winning architect at Arthur Gensler’s firm.
In this interactive conversation, Marc will interview his former employer and find out how he created a world-class design firm and what advice he would give to individuals like Marc who are venturing out on their own.
Discussion topics will include:
- The essentials of leadership, talent acquisition, and operations
- The 12 principles of building architectural firms
- How client relationships are the key to job security
- Creative strategies that propelled a small business into one of the largest and most admired in its industry
- Recognizing and acting upon unexpected business opportunities
Thursday, May 19 from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Pennsylvania Convention Center